Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Geneablogging Pays Off!!!

This morning I was browsing some of my fellow geneablogger's sites and saw that one of them was following "Sandusky Bay Graveyard Rabbits." As some of my husband's ancestors lived there of course I had to click on over and check it out. Their "Tombstone Tuesday" entry included a link to a book, readable online on Amazon, entitled "Sandusky Einst und Jetzt" (Sandusky Then and Now, if my high school German education serves me correctly) Thank you to the author for including so many links in her blog posts, by the way! So helpful!

So with both of the early Sandusky forefathers dying so early, I had very little information. I knew nothing but the name of _____ Ermisches' wife, Martha, and I did have a little info on Carl Wettstein (Whetstone) but knew little of where they came from. Imagine my delight when I searched the text of the book for Ermisch and Wettstein and they BOTH popped up!

It turns out the Ermisch ancestor's name was Friedrich, and he was from the grand dutchy of Sachsen (Saxony). His wife's name was Martha Maria BAUMBACH and they were married in 1848. They arrived in the Sandusky Bay in 1858. I am so excited to finally have this information!

I also found out that Carl Wettstein, listed as a Schreiner (joiner - not sure what this term is being used for) was born in Fislisbach, Switzerland on 2 Aug, 1815. He married Clara HAUSER in 1850. She died on July 19, 1886.

I can't wait to see what new doors this information will open. So, fellow geneabloggers, make sure you are checking out other blogs for potential leads! I have been at this for less than a week and have already made a major breakthrough! Happy blogging, everyone!

1 comments:

geneabloggers said...

Excellent! This is why we blog - while it can be to get our own mysteries solved, it is also to make information public so readers can also break down their own brick walls!